The following program develops from your program case studies for middle schools. Please keep in mind that you must develop a vision for your school, including the learning philosophy which will be demonstrated in the program arrangement / adjacencies / sections etc. Please keep in mind our previous “ecology of ideas” to help trigger alternative learning environments that the space program does not. I have linked back to previous posts in each program summary below as well.
Learning Clusters: 51,000 s.f.
- 8/9 Classrooms per year: 24,000 s.f.
- 8/9 Labs (1. per cluster): 13,500 sf.
- 8/9 Homerooms (1. per cluster): 9,000s.f.
- Bathrooms (1. Boys, 1. Girls, and Jan 500 s.f. closet per cluster): 4,500 s.f.
Gymnasium: 8,000 s.f.
- Main Gym: 6,000 s.f. (about 100′ x 60′)
- Support Spaces: 2000 s.f. (includes boys / girls locker rooms, coaches offices, equipment storage)
Commons / Cafeteria: 6,000 s.f.
- main eating space: 4,000 s.f.
- kitchen and support: 2,000 s.f.
Library / Media Center: 4,000 s.f.
- Main Reading Room: 3,000 s.f.
- Media Area: 600 s.f.
- Study Rooms: 400 s.f.
Arts: 8,000 s.f. (+ 8,000 s.f. if dedicated theater)
- Art Studios: 6,000 s.f. (3-4 studios)
- Music Room: 2,000 s.f.
- Auditorium (optional): 6,000 s.f. + 2,000 s.f. support
- if no dedicated auditorium, there must be a flexible all school gathering and presentation space (such as with commons/cafeteria or gym)
Administration: 3,000 s.f.
- Office Suite: 2,500 s.f. (Principal, Vice Principal, Conference Room, Entry reception/secretary, Teacher lounge and copy room, etc)
- Nurse: 500 s.f.
Total Required Program: 80,000 s.f.
20% Grossing (Circulation / Mech): 16,000 s.f.
Total S.F.: 96,000 s.f.